Nature and Asphalt

One thing that I find particularly interesting with Japans cities is the lack and surplus of nature. Almost all the ground is covered by something, may it be asphalt, concrete, houses or stone. There is not really much open grounds. But the people living in the cities usually make it green even if there is nothing to work with on a ground level. Many fronts of homes are filled with potted plats that contain lush flowers, greenery, vegetables and I have also spotted a few smaller trees growing from larger pots. Because this, Japanese cities are indeed green, at least if you look in the suburbs and away from the cities cores, but even in the cities there is vegetation in some areas.

But why do the Japanese keep putting these plats outside theirs houses then? I would hint that the answer is obvious, probably this is to keep a connection to nature and to lighten the feel on the otherwise sparse cities. The Japanese people seem to have a real love for nature even though many nowadays are disconnected from it. Take the Hanami (Sakura Flower Viewing) process for example, at this time people from all ages are going out and viewing the cherry blossom threes in bloom. And there is also and example of this in the traditional Japanese gardens. There is several gardens in the traditional style all over japan and I do not doubt that many of the houses with high walls that I walk pass while walking to school usually contains something similar. I get the feeling that nature in all is forms is highly appreciated, just take the Ryoan-ji (Rock Garden) for example. Here people flock to see rocks, which might seems strange to outsiders but I think that perhaps the Japanese see them as a part of nature that also could be appreciated just as flowers or other plants. And that might also be why the Japanese gardens have such different themes of what we are used to in the west. Not only does the garden contain vegetation, but rocks, ponds and bridges also take an big part.

But from my personal viewpoint, even if there are vegetation even here in the outskirts of Osaka, I still miss real nature. During my time here, I have only been to the populated parts of Japan, and before I go home again I wish to travel to the real countryside. Where there are still fields, gravel roads and non concrete ditches.


1 comment:

  1. The Japanese view of nature is an interesting and important topic. While I find your own ideas interesting, this post would have benefited from some research on the connection between Japanese culture and nature.

    ReplyDelete